Did you know that March 20th was National Proposal Day?!
Though most proposals happen over the holidays, typically Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine’s Day, this lesser-known holiday is exactly what it sounds like a date that’s meant to prompt a proposal!
Well, at least, that’s why a man named John Michael O’Loughlin intended after he invented the holiday after his cousin’s boyfriend failed to pop the question after years of dating! He picked March 20 as the official date because it’s usually the first day of spring and when day and night are of equal length worldwide, so I guess he was a bit of a romantic!
Before you get down on one knee and pop the question, we thought it would be a good idea to give you a little insight into the different types of engagement rings. From round, to princess to emerald, here are a few details that make each ring unique and hopefully will help you find the perfect one!
Photography: Abby Jiu
- Round Cut: One of the most popular cuts for an engagement ring, the round cut is also a classic diamond shape. A round stone with 58 facets, it has the most sparkle.
- Cushion Cut: The cushion cut is a cross between a rectangle and an oval; it has a pillow shape, and it is also called an “antique cut.”
- Emerald Cut: An emerald cut (originally developed for the gem of the same name) is rectangular with cropped corners and long, stair-step-like facets.
- Asscher Cut: An asscher is similar to an emerald cut, but square, so it looks octagonal (the radiant is a popular variation of these but with facets that give it even greater sparkle).
- Princess Cut: A very popular diamond cut, the princess cut is a brilliant square stone.
- Oval Cut: The oval shape, which first began appearing in the Sixties, visually elongates the fingers and is completely unique.
- Marquise Cut: The marquise is an oval with pointed ends.
- Pear Cut: A pear-cut diamond also resembles its name. An added bonus to the pear shape is that if you wear it with the point facing away from your body, it makes your finger look long and slender.