UPDATE: A. Dominick Events has filled all of our Fall internship positions. We will be posting the Spring internship later this Fall.
Are you obsessed with events, especially weddings? Do your plan your friend’s birthdays and love looking at Pinterest and event planning blogs? A. Dominick Events, based in Chevy Chase DC, is one of the premier event planning companies in the area and can teach you how to turn that passion into a profession. With more than 30 events per year, we are one of the busiest planning firms in the Mid-Atlantic.
Photo by: Bonnie Sen
A. Dominick Events has a fast paced work environment and we seek talented interns who crave learning new skills and aren’t afraid to tackle big projects. As an intern you will get to work with our staff, while working on real projects that will teach you what event planning is really about.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is friendly and professional, someone who is obsessed with event planning and is creative and thoughtful when approaching assignments. He or she should also be ready to take great notes and open to learning the intricacies of planning high-end events.
What You Will Learn:
• To create a high-end event from start to finish
• To balance client expectations and budget constraints
• To create and present a scale floor plan using Social Tables software
• To brainstorm event details and design including creating inspiration boards
• To build relationship with our online community by maintaining Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blog and other media accounts.
• To create proposals for prospective clients
• To dress professionally and interact as an adult in a workplace
• To design and set up a sample table presentation
• Plenty of additional opportunities in related projects.
Format for Learning and Future Benefits:
Our firm prides itself on the quality of its internship program and many of our former interns are now working in influential positions in event planning roles in Washington DC and beyond. Our introductions and recommendations have helped our former interns to secure position at many companies including: The Ritz Carlton, The Hay-Adams Hotel, Elan Artists, Amaryllis Inc, our own firm and many others.
We begin our internship with a full day of intensive training and provide each intern a comprehensive full training manual. Each day, interns are provided with varied tasks that are discussed in detail and overseen by their direct supervisor. At the conclusion of each day, the intern is required to recap their progress providing opportunity for supervisor feedback and learning.
At the mid-point of the semester a quiz and review are given to assess each interns’ progress and to establish a dialog to ensure that the intern’s goals are being reached.
At the conclusion of the semester, a final review is conducted to access the progress of the intern and to discuss the intern’s goals beyond the internship. At this time career advice, resume review and if appropriate, recommendations and introductions are made to possible future employers.
The office internship program runs from mid-August to mid-December and you are expected to work 15 hours a week in the A. Dominick Events office.
Class or work schedule preventing you from committing to 15 hours per week? A. Dominick Events offers a day of event internship to accommodate interns’ schedules. These interns work more limited office hours (approx. 8 hours per week) and assist the A. Dominick Events staff at all off-site events (typically 4 to 5 hours on evenings or weekends). The day of event internship allows you the opportunity to experience first hand what all of the planning results in and learn to manage high end events.
• Background/studies in Event Planning, Marketing, Communication, Management or other related discipline is preferred but not require
• Strong communication skills (both written and oral).
• Proficiency in Word and Excel
• Organized candidates with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
• Creativity and flexibility
• Strong problem solving skills
• Familiarity with social networking sites desired, but we will also train.
For more information or to apply please contact Cindy Bastron (firstname.lastname@example.org or 202.216.9557).